Sports Injury Maryland Heights, MO. A sports injury can occur when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other varieties of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. In reality, the majority of sports injuries happen to recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Maryland Heights, MO sports therapists can help you heal. Axes Physical Therapy has a network of physical and occupational therapists treating sports injuries at any of our fourteen locally owned and operated facilities. When you are injured while being physically active, our team can treat your sports injury and safely return you to the sports you enjoy. Discover the Maryland Heights, MO sports injury treatment location closest you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury care in the Maryland Heights, MO area or contact us now to schedule an analysis of your sports injury with a professional physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries differ greatly in terms of severity, necessary treatment and impact on the body and ability to keep active. Our Maryland Heights, MO physical and occupational therapists are specialists in treating all types of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in deft hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Maryland Heights, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your recovery and ensure that you are able to return to the sports and activities you love soon.
As skilled sports therapists serving all of Maryland Heights, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every type of sports injury. Below are some of the some of the sports injuries we see the most of.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a muscle or tendon is torn or overstretched, you suffer a strain, which are sometimes mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can become swollen and sore, limiting activity. Long term or chronic inflammation of a tendon can result in degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, causing tendonitis.
- Inflamed joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common consequence of many sports injuries and can result in pain and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A sports injury can force a bone out of its socket, dislocating it.
- Knee injuries – The knee is an important but potentially vulnerable joint that can be affected by a variety of different sports injuries resulting in torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and broken bones.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a network of muscles and tendons that disallows your arm from popping out of the shoulder socket while still allowing your shoulder to move in all directions. Impingement and/ or tears are the most common rotator cuff sports injuries.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a tremendously strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are typical Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become inflamed, causing soreness.
If you suffer a sports injury, our sports injury treatment team can help. As an expert in movement and movement disorders, your Maryland Heights, MO sports therapist will apply their experience and expertise toward your recovery. Employing evidence-based practices, we will create a tailored treatment plan that will allow you to safely recover from your sports injury and bring back your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the activities you love while preventing future injury.
If you experience a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to get you back to favorable physical health and get you back to to your peak performance level. Work with a qualified Maryland Heights, MO physical therapist to heal from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anyone. That is why it is of utmost importance to look after our bodies both on and off the field and to take the necessary precautions while playing sports or working out. Remember to warm up before physical activity and never overexert yourself, particularly if you haven’t been active. And if you do suffer a sports injury, get in touch with the Maryland Heights, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will guide you in you in your rehabilitation and return you to the activities you love as soon as possible.
You are at an increased risk of a sports injury if you:
- Play after an extended period of inactivity or poor level of fitness
- Do not stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with a predictably higher risk of injury
Age also plays a factor in sports injuries, as younger children and the elderly are at higher risk. As someone who enjoys being active and who has family members that are at a higher risk of sports injury, whether they are just starting out in t-ball or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, consider the basic instructions for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your Maryland Heights, MO family safe from severe sports injuries. If you or a loved one suffers a sports injury while being active, trust in the talented Maryland Heights, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy today for a free injury screening or analysis of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anybody who engages in physical activity, a sports injury can upset your whole routine and your daily life. Because physical activity is such a important aspect of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists espouse the view that each one of us is safer with the correct sports injury prevention knowledge. Find out more about sports injury prevention by contacting one of our Maryland Heights, MO physical therapists and lessen the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Cold muscles have a heightened chance of tearing, while warm muscles have more flexibility. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility helps them absorb force more easily and protect themselves better against harsh, sudden movements that can otherwise leads to injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries often occur when you attempt to do an activity without any experience or training. Any athlete requires a lot of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the foundations of proper movement technique before playing a sport or activity. For example, knowing to bend your knees while you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is crucial that you use the right equipment while you are active. The equipment should not only be appropriate for the sport, but also be working properly and safe to use. This includes the following:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety glasses
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is suitable for the activity
- Play in a safe environment
Other than using the appropriate gear to play the sport, it is crucial that the Maryland Heights, MO site where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can happen when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are alert, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, hazardous conditions around you can result in a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking sufficient water is a fundamental health practice that everyone should do. When practicing in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is crucial to consistently hydrate during physical activity and afterward to replenish the water you have lost through sweat.
In addition to drinking sufficient water, practicing good nutrition also lowers your chances of suffering a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and monitoring your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when playing a sport or physical activity, from time to time an injury is impossible to avoid. Many things are outside of our control, and injuries are going to happen. If you suffer a serious sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Maryland Heights, MO sports therapists today. We will take you through an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and design a tailor-made treatment plan to restore you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As an athlete, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is frustrating to say the least. In order to be able to get back to peak performance, mobility and strength you are accustomed to, you must receive the right sports injury care. When you experience a sports injury, the qualified Maryland Heights, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to implement an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Maryland Heights, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Maryland Heights, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your rehabilitation from your sports injury. When handling a sports injury, it is vital to get proper care from a knowledgeable professional straight away. When you have been injured while being active, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Maryland Heights, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to playing the sports you love. Learn more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Maryland Heights, MO location nearest you.