Sports Injury Shrewsbury, MO. A sports injury can take place when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other kinds of physical activity. You don’t have to be a professional athlete to experience a sports injury. In truth, the majority of sports injuries happen to recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Shrewsbury, MO sports therapists can help you recuperate. Axes Physical Therapy has has fourteen locally owned and operated facilities, each with its own group of physical and occupational therapists. If you are injured while playing a sport, our team can treat your sports injury and safely return you to the sports you love. Find out more about the Shrewsbury, MO sports injury treatment location closest you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury care in the Shrewsbury, MO area or contact us now to schedule an assessment of your sports injury with a professional physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary widely in terms of seriousness, required treatment and effect on the body and ability to remain active. Our Shrewsbury, MO physical and occupational therapists are specialists in treating all sorts of sports injuries. With decades of experience, extensive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in deft hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Shrewsbury, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will guide you in your rehabilitation and make certain that you will be back to the sports and activities you enjoy quickly.
As skillful sports therapists serving all of Shrewsbury, MO, there are few sports injuries we have not seen or successfully treated. Listed below are some of the some of the sports injuries we see the most of.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you experience a strain, which are sometimes mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can cause swelling and become painful, prohibiting activity. Long term or chronic swelling of a tendon can lead to degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, resulting in tendonitis.
- Inflamed joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common outcome of a lot of sports injuries and can cause soreness and weakness.
- Broken bones – Overuse and trauma from accidents can cause fractures, such as stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury occurs when a bone is pushed out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is an important but potentially at-risk joint that can be affected by a lot of different sports injuries leading to torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and fracture.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The muscles responsible for allowing your shoulder to move in all directions while keeping it in place make up the rotator cuff. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a particularly strong and flexible tendon connecting your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are typical Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become inflamed, causing soreness.
Our sports injury treatment team can help you recover from your sports injury. As an expert in movement and movement disorders, your Shrewsbury, MO sports therapist will use their experience and expertise toward your recovery. Employing evidence-based practices, we will develop a tailored treatment plan that will let you safely recuperate from your sports injury and restore your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the sports you love while preventing future injury.
If you experience a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to restore you to favorable physical health and get you back to to your optimum performance level. Work with a qualified Shrewsbury, MO physical therapist to heal from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
A sports injury happen to anybody who is being active or playing. For that reason it is key to look after our bodies both on and off the field and to take the needed precautions while participating in sports or working out. Warming up is always an important first step, and never overexert yourself, particularly if you’ve been inactive. And if you do experience a sports injury, get in touch with the Shrewsbury, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your recovery and get you back to the sports you love as soon as possible.
You have a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Play after not being active for a while or poor level of fitness
- Do not stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with an inherently higher chance of injury
Age also plays a factor in sports injuries, as younger children and the elderly are at higher risk. As someone who enjoys being active and who has family members that are more susceptible to sports injury, whether they are just starting out in t-ball or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, keep in mind the basic instructions for preventing sports injury to help keep yourself and your Shrewsbury, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or someone you love suffers a sports injury while playing a sport, turn to the talented Shrewsbury, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy now for a free injury screening or analysis of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anyone who is active, a sports injury can disrupt your entire schedule and your day-to-day life. Because physical activity is such a critical aspect of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists promote the view that all of us are safer with the proper sports injury prevention knowledge. Find out more about sports injury prevention by speaking to one of our Shrewsbury, MO physical therapists and lower the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Stiff muscles have a higher chance of tearing, while warmed up muscles have more flexibility. As you warm up your muscles, the flexibility helps them absorb movement more easily and be more resilient against jarring, sudden motions that can otherwise leads to injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries commonly occur when you attempt to participate in a sport without any experience or training. Any athlete requires a great deal of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the fundamentals of proper movement technique before playing a sport or activity. For example, knowing to bend your knees as you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is very important that you use the appropriate equipment while being active. The equipment should not only be correct for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. Some examples of equipment are:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is appropriate for the activity
- Play in a safe environment
Other than having the proper equipment to play the sport, it is important that the Shrewsbury, MO location where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are very careful, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, dangerous conditions where you play can result in a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking adequate water is a fundamental health practice that everyone should do. If you are participating in in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is vital to consistently hydrate while you are being active and afterward to replenish the water that you lost through perspiring.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also decreases your risk of a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and monitoring your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even when you take all the proper precautions and always exercise good judgment when participating in a sport or physical activity, at times an injury is unavoidable. Many things are outside of our control, and injuries are going to happen. If you have a severe sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Shrewsbury, MO sports therapists right away. We will perform an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and develop a personalized treatment plan to get you back to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As someone who is active, we know that living with an injury that prohibits you from physical activity is frustrating to say the least. In order to be able to get back to peak performance, mobility and strength you are used to, you must receive the right sports injury care. When you experience a sports injury, the knowledgeable Shrewsbury, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to implement an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Shrewsbury, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Shrewsbury, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recovery from your sports injury. When treating a sports injury, it is important to get proper care from a experienced professional straight away. When you have been injured while playing sports, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Shrewsbury, MO sports therapy team is ready to help return you to full strength and get you back to playing the sports you love. Discover more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Shrewsbury, MO location nearest you.