Sports Injury Union, MO. A sports injury can take place when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other forms of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. Actually, most sports injuries happen to recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Union, MO sports therapists can help you recuperate. Axes Physical Therapy has has fourteen locally owned and operated facilities, each with its own group of physical and occupational therapists. When you are injured while participating in physical activities, our team can treat your sports injury and safely return you to the activities you love. Learn more about the Union, MO sports injury treatment location closest you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury treatment in the Union, MO area or contact us now to schedule an assessment of your sports injury with a certified physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary widely in terms of seriousness, needed treatment and impact on the body and ability to remain active. Our Union, MO physical and occupational therapists specialize in treating all varieties of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in deft hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Union, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your recovery and make certain that you are able to return to the sports and activities you enjoy in no time.
As skilled sports therapists serving all of Union, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every kind of sports injury. Below are some of the most common sports injury conditions we work with.
- Sprains – A sprain occurs when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a muscle or tendon is torn or overstretched, you have a strain, which can often be mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can cause inflammation and become sore, restricting activity. Long term or chronic swelling of a tendon can lead to degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, causing tendonitis.
- Swollen joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common outcome of a lot of sports injuries and can result in soreness and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury occurs when a bone is forced out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is an important but potentially vulnerable joint that can experience a lot of different sports injuries leading to torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and broken bones.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a network of muscles and tendons that prohibits shoulder dislocations while still allowing full range of motion. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is an extremely strong and flexible tendon connecting your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are common Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing pain.
Our sports injury treatment team can help you recover from your sports injury. As an expert in motion and movement disorders, your Union, MO sports therapist will employ their experience and expertise toward your recovery. Using evidence-based practices, we will design a tailored treatment plan that will let you safely recuperate from your sports injury and return your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the activities you love while safeguarding against future injury.
If you suffer a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to restore you to favorable physical health and return you to your optimum performance level. Work with a qualified Union, MO physical therapist to heal from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
A sports injury happen to anybody who is being active or participating in a sport. That is why it is vital to look after our bodies both on and off the field and to take the requisite precautions while participating in sports or working out. Warming up is always an important first step, and never overexert yourself, especially if you haven’t been active. And if you do suffer a sports injury, get in touch with the Union, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your rehabilitation and return you to the activities you love as soon as possible.
You are at a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Participate after an extended period of inactivity or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with a predictably higher prospect of injury
Young children and older adults are also at a higher risk of experiencing a sports injury. As someone who enjoys being active and who has loved ones that are in increased danger of a sports injury, whether they are strapping on cleats for the first time or getting active again by joining the community pickleball league, review the basic recommendations for preventing sports injury to help keep yourself and your Union, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or a loved one suffers a sports injury while playing a sport, trust in the experienced Union, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy now for a complimentary injury screening or assessment of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anybody who is active, a sports injury can disrupt your entire routine and your day-to-day life. As physical activity is such a important element of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists advocate for the view that each one of us is safer with the appropriate sports injury prevention knowledge. Find out more about sports injury prevention by calling one of our Union, MO physical therapists and lower the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Inactive muscles are at a higher risk of tearing, while warm muscles have more flexibility. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility lets them absorb force more easily and be more resilient against jarring, sudden movements that can otherwise result in injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries commonly happen when you attempt to do an activity without any experience or training. Any athlete needs a great deal of practice to perfect the technical skills of any sport, but be sure to learn the foundations of proper movement technique before participating in a sport or activity. For example, understanding how to bend your knees while you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is very important that you use the right equipment when you are active. The equipment should not only be suitable for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. Some examples of equipment are:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is right for the activity
- Play in a safe environment
Other than using the appropriate gear to play the sport, it is crucial that the Union, MO location where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can happen when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are conscientious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, dangerous conditions around you can cause a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking sufficient water is a fundamental health practice that everyone should do. When participating in in physical activity, drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workout. It is crucial to constantly hydrate during physical activity and afterward to replenish the water you have lost through perspiration.
In addition to drinking enough water, practicing good nutrition also lessens your chances of experiencing a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and monitoring your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even when you take all the proper precautions and always exercise good judgment when participating in a sport or physical activity, from time to time an injury is inevitable. Many things are outside of our control, and injuries are going to happen. If you experience a serious sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Union, MO sports therapists today. We will conduct an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and develop a custom treatment plan to return you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As someone who is active, we know that living with an injury that prohibits you from physical activity is frustrating to say the least. In order to be able to get back to optimal performance, mobility and strength you previously had, you must receive the right sports injury care. When you experience a sports injury, the knowledgeable Union, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to create an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Union, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Union, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recuperation from your sports injury. When handling a sports injury, it is vital to get proper care from a knowledgeable professional right away. After you have been hurt while being active, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Union, MO sports therapy team is ready to help return you to full strength and get you back to playing the sports you love. Learn more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Union, MO location nearest you.