Sports Injury Dellwood, MO. A sports injury can happen when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other varieties of physical activity. You don’t have to be a professional athlete to experience a sports injury. In truth, the majority of sports injuries occur in recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Dellwood, MO sports therapists can help you recuperate. Axes Physical Therapy has a network of physical and occupational therapists treating sports injuries at any of our fourteen locally owned and operated facilities. If you are injured while playing a sport, our team can treat your sports injury and safely return you to the activities you enjoy. Learn more about the Dellwood, MO sports injury treatment location most convenient for you, learn more about Axes and what makes us the leader in sports injury care in the Dellwood, MO area or contact us now to schedule an assessment of your sports injury with a certified physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary widely in terms of severity, necessary treatment and effect on the body and ability to remain active. Our Dellwood, MO physical and occupational therapists are experts in treating all kinds of sports injuries. With decades of experience, extensive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in trustworthy hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Dellwood, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will guide you in your rehabilitation and ensure that you are able to return to the sports and activities you enjoy in no time.
As skillful sports therapists serving all of Dellwood, MO, there are not many sports injuries we have not seen or successfully treated. The following are some of the some of the sports injuries we see the most of.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you suffer a strain, which can often be mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon is overused, it can cause swelling and become painful, restricting activity. Long term or chronic swelling of a tendon can bring about degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, causing tendonitis.
- Inflamed joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common reaction to many sports injuries and can lead to pain and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A sports injury can force a bone out of its socket, dislocating it.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a major but potentially vulnerable joint that can be affected by many different sports injuries leading to torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and fracture.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a network of muscles and tendons that impedes your arm from popping out of the shoulder socket while still allowing your shoulder to move in all directions. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a tremendously strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are common Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing soreness.
If you experience a sports injury, our sports injury treatment team can help. As an expert in movement and movement disorders, your Dellwood, MO sports therapist will apply their experience and knowledge toward your recovery. Utilizing evidence-based practices, we will create a tailored treatment plan that will allow you to safely recover from your sports injury and restore your strength and movement so that you can get back to the activities you love while preventing future injury.
If you experience a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to restore you to excellent physical health and restore you to your optimum performance level. Work with a qualified Dellwood, MO physical therapist to recover from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anybody can experience a sports injury while being active. That is why it is vital to protect our bodies both on and off the field and to take the needed precautions while participating in sports or working out. Warming up is always an important first step, and do not overwork your body, particularly if you haven’t been active. And if you do experience a sports injury, contact the Dellwood, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your rehabilitation and get you back to the activities you love as soon as possible.
You have a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Play after an extended period of inactivity or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with an inherently higher risk of injury
Age also plays a factor in sports injuries, as younger children and the elderly are at higher risk. As someone who enjoys being active and who has family members that are in increased danger of a sports injury, whether they are just starting out in t-ball or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, keep in mind the basic guidelines for preventing sports injury to help keep yourself and your Dellwood, MO family safe from severe sports injuries. If you or someone you love suffers a sports injury while being active, trust in the experienced Dellwood, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy right away for a complimentary injury screening or assessment of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anybody who engages in physical activity, a sports injury can disrupt your entire schedule and your day-to-day life. As physical activity is such a important aspect of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists champion the belief that we all are safer with the appropriate sports injury prevention knowledge. Find out more about sports injury prevention by calling one of our Dellwood, MO physical therapists and lessen the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Stiff muscles have a higher risk of tearing, while warm muscles are more flexible. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility helps them absorb movement more easily and shield themselves better against jarring, sudden movements that can otherwise result in injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries often take place when you try to participate in a sport without any experience or training. Any athlete requires a great deal of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the foundations of appropriate movement technique before participating in a sport or activity. For example, knowing to bend your knees as you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is essential that you use the right equipment when being active. The equipment should not only be right for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. Some examples of equipment are:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety glasses
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is appropriate for the activity
- Play in safe conditions
In addition to using the appropriate gear to play the sport, it is crucial that the Dellwood, MO location where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the playing surface is wet, slippery, or muddy. Even if you are cautious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, hazardous conditions around you can cause a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking enough water is a fundamental health practice that everyone should do. If you are practicing in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is crucial to consistently hydrate during physical activity and afterward to replenish the fluids you have lost through sweating.
In addition to drinking enough water, practicing good nutrition also decreases your chances of suffering a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and balancing your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when playing a sport or physical activity, at times an injury is unavoidable. We cannot always control the world around us, and injuries are going to happen. If you suffer a serious sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Dellwood, MO sports therapists right away. We will perform an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and design a tailored treatment plan to return you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As someone who is active, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is more than frustrating. In order to be able to get back to optimal performance, mobility and strength you are accustomed to, you must receive the right sports injury treatment. When you suffer a sports injury, the experienced Dellwood, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to implement an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Dellwood, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Dellwood, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recuperation from your sports injury. When treating a sports injury, it is crucial to get proper care from a skilled professional right away. When you have been injured while being active, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Dellwood, MO sports therapy team is ready to help return you to full strength and get you back to playing the sports you love. Discover more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Dellwood, MO location nearest you.