Sports Injury Defiance, MO. A sports injury can take place when you are playing a competitive sport, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other types of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. In fact, most sports injuries occur in recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Defiance, MO sports therapists can help you recover. Axes Physical Therapy has a network of physical and occupational therapists treating sports injuries at any of our fourteen locally owned and operated facilities. When you are injured while playing a sport, our team can treat your sports injury and safely get you back to the sports you love. Discover the Defiance, MO sports injury treatment location closest you, learn more about Axes and what makes us the leader in sports injury care in the Defiance, MO area or contact us now to schedule an evaluation of your sports injury with a professional physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary greatly in terms of severity, required treatment and effect on the body and ability to remain active. Our Defiance, MO physical and occupational therapists are experts in treating all types of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in capable hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Defiance, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will guide you in your recovery and make certain that you will be back to the sports and activities you love soon.
As experienced sports therapists serving all of Defiance, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every kind of sports injury. Listed below are some of the some of the sports injuries we see the most of.
- Sprains – A sprain occurs when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you have a strain, which can often be mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon is overused, it can become swollen and painful, limiting activity. Long term or chronic inflammation of a tendon can cause degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, causing tendonitis.
- Inflamed joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common reaction to a lot of sports injuries and can result in soreness and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury occurs when a bone is forced out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a significant but potentially at-risk joint that can suffer from a variety of different sports injuries resulting in torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and broken bones.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The muscles responsible for allowing your shoulder to have full range of motion while keeping it in place make up the rotator cuff. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a particularly strong and flexible tendon connecting your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are common Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing soreness.
Our sports injury treatment team can help you recover from your sports injury. As an expert in motion and movement disorders, your Defiance, MO sports therapist will use their experience and knowledge toward your recovery. Employing evidence-based practices, we will design a tailored treatment plan that will allow you to safely rehabilitate from your sports injury and restore your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the activities you love while protecting against future injury.
If you have a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to get you back to optimal physical health and get you back to to your maximum performance level. Work with a qualified Defiance, MO physical therapist to rehabilitate from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anyone. That is why it is key to take care of our bodies both on and off the field and to take the requisite precautions while playing sports or training. Remember to warm up before physical activity and do not overwork your body, especially if you’ve been inactive. And if you do experience a sports injury, call the Defiance, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your recovery and return you to the sports you love as soon as possible.
You are at an increased risk of a sports injury if you:
- Play after an extended period of inactivity or poor level of fitness
- Do not stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with a predictably higher chance of injury
Age also plays a factor in sports injuries, as younger children and the elderly are at higher risk. As someone who enjoys being active and who has loved ones that are more susceptible to sports injury, whether they are just starting out in t-ball or getting active again by joining the community pickleball league, keep in mind the basic strategies for preventing sports injury to help keep yourself and your Defiance, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or a family member suffers a sports injury while playing a sport, turn to the talented Defiance, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy now for a complimentary injury screening or analysis of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anybody who is active, a sports injury can disrupt your whole schedule and your day-to-day life. Due to physical activity being such a vital facet of your health and wellness, sports injury physical therapists promote the viewpoint that each one of us is safer with the right sports injury prevention knowledge. Find out more about sports injury prevention by reaching out to one of our Defiance, MO physical therapists and lower the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Stiff muscles have a higher chance of tearing, while warmed up muscles are more flexible. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility allows them to absorb impacts more effectively and be more resilient against jarring, sudden motions that can otherwise cause injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries commonly occur when you try to do an activity without any experience or training. You need a lot of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the basics of appropriate movement technique before taking part in a sport or activity. For example, understanding how to bend your knees while you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is very important that you use the correct equipment while you are active. The equipment should not only be appropriate for the sport, but also be functioning properly and safe to use. Some examples of equipment are:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is suitable for the activity
- Play in safe conditions
Other than having the correct equipment to play the sport, it is crucial that the Defiance, MO setting where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the playing surface is wet, slippery, or muddy. Even if you are cautious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, unsafe conditions around you can result in a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking enough water is a fundamental health practice that everyone should do. If you are engaging in physical activity, drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workout. It is vital to constantly hydrate while you are being active and afterward to replace the water that you lost through perspiring.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also lowers your chances of getting a sports injury.
As an athlete, one of your first concerns should be eating a balanced diet of nutrient-rich foods and getting the correct number of calories. Even when you take all the proper precautions and always exercise good judgment when participating in a sport or being active, at times an injury is inevitable. We cannot always control the world around us, and injuries are part of being an athlete. If you suffer a severe sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Defiance, MO sports therapists today. We will take you through an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and develop a personalized treatment plan to get you back to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As someone who is active, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is frustrating to say the least. In order to be able to get back to the level of performance, mobility and strength you are accustomed to, you must receive the right sports injury treatment. When you experience a sports injury, the experienced Defiance, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to create an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Defiance, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Defiance, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recovery from your sports injury. When treating a sports injury, it is vital to get proper care from a experienced professional straight away. After you have been injured while playing sports, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Defiance, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to playing the sports you love. Learn more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Defiance, MO location nearest you.