Sports Injury Ballwin, MO. A sports injury can happen when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other varieties of physical activity. You don’t have to be a professional athlete to experience a sports injury. In truth, most sports injuries happen to recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Ballwin, MO sports therapists can help you recover. Axes Physical Therapy has has fourteen locally owned and operated facilities, each with its own group of physical and occupational therapists. After you are injured while playing a sport, our team can treat your sports injury and safely get you back to the sports you enjoy. Find out more about the Ballwin, MO sports injury treatment location closest you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury care in the Ballwin, MO area or contact us now to schedule an assessment of your sports injury with a professional physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries differ greatly in terms of severity, necessary treatment and effect on the body and ability to stay active. Our Ballwin, MO physical and occupational therapists are experts in treating all types of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in deft hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Ballwin, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your recovery and ensure that you will be back to the sports and activities you enjoy in no time.
As experienced sports therapists serving all of Ballwin, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every type of sports injury. The following are some of the most common sports injury conditions we work with.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you suffer a strain, which can often be mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can cause swelling and become painful, restricting activity. Long term or chronic swelling of a tendon can cause degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, leading to tendonitis.
- Inflamed joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common reaction to many sports injuries and can lead to pain and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury happens when a bone is forced out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is an important but potentially vulnerable joint that can be affected by a variety of different sports injuries leading to torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and broken bones.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The muscles responsible for allowing your shoulder to move in all directions while keeping it in place make up the rotator cuff. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is an especially strong and flexible tendon connecting your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are typical Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become inflamed, causing pain.
If you suffer a sports injury, our sports injury treatment team can help. As an expert in motion and movement disorders, your Ballwin, MO sports therapist will use their experience and knowledge toward your recovery. Utilizing evidence-based practices, we will design a tailored treatment plan that will allow you to safely rehabilitate from your sports injury and return your strength and movement so that you can get back to the activities you love while protecting against future injury.
If you have a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to restore you to excellent physical health and restore you to your highest performance level. Work with a qualified Ballwin, MO physical therapist to heal from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
A sports injury happen to anybody who is being active or participating in a sport. For that reason it is key to protect our bodies both on and off the field and to take the necessary precautions while playing sports or training. Remember to warm up before physical activity and do not overwork your body, especially if you’ve been inactive. And if you do experience a sports injury, get in touch with the Ballwin, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your recovery and return you to the physical activities you love as soon as possible.
You are at a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Participate after not being active for a while or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with a predictably higher chance of injury
Young children and older adults are also at a higher risk of experiencing a sports injury. As someone who enjoys being active and who has family members that are at a higher risk of sports injury, whether they are just now learning how to dribble or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, keep in mind the basic recommendations for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your Ballwin, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or someone you love suffers a sports injury while being active, trust in the talented Ballwin, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy immediately for a free injury screening or analysis of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anybody who is active, a sports injury can interrupt your whole schedule and your day-to-day life. Due to physical activity being such a critical part of your health and wellness, sports injury physical therapists promote the belief that we all are safer with the correct sports injury prevention knowledge. Learn more about sports injury prevention by calling one of our Ballwin, MO physical therapists and minimize the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Inactive muscles have an increased risk of tearing, while warmed up muscles have more flexibility. As you warm up your muscles, the flexibility helps them absorb force more easily and defend themselves better against harsh, sudden movements that can otherwise cause injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries often take place when you try to do an activity without any experience or training. It takes a great deal of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the fundamentals of proper movement technique before playing a sport or activity. For example, knowing to bend your knees when you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is very important that you use suitable equipment while you are active. The equipment should not only be correct for the sport, but also be working properly and safe to use. Some examples of equipment are:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety glasses
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is right for the activity
- Play in safe conditions
Other than using the correct equipment to play the sport, it is crucial that the Ballwin, MO location where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are conscientious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, unsafe conditions where you play can cause a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking sufficient water is a basic health practice that everyone should do. When practicing in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is crucial to consistently hydrate during physical activity and afterward to replace the fluids you have lost through sweat.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also lessens your chances of suffering a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and monitoring your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when playing a sport or being active, occasionally an injury is not preventable. We cannot always control the world around us, and injuries are part of being an athlete. If you suffer a serious sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Ballwin, MO sports therapists today. We will take you through an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and put together a tailored treatment plan to restore you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As someone who is active, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is more than frustrating. In order to be able to get back to the level of performance, mobility and strength you previously had, you must receive the right sports injury care. When you suffer a sports injury, the knowledgeable Ballwin, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to design an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Ballwin, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Ballwin, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recovery from your sports injury. When handling a sports injury, it is important to get proper care from a skilled professional right away. After you have been hurt while being active, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Ballwin, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to doing the activities you love. Discover more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Ballwin, MO location nearest you.