Sports Injury Villa Ridge, MO. A sports injury can occur when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other kinds of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. In truth, the majority of sports injuries occur in non-professional athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Villa Ridge, MO sports therapists can help you heal. Axes Physical Therapy has has fourteen locally owned and operated facilities, each with its own group of physical and occupational therapists. When you are injured while being physically active, our team can treat your sports injury and safely get you back to the activities you enjoy. Learn more about the Villa Ridge, MO sports injury treatment location most convenient for you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury treatment in the Villa Ridge, MO area or contact us now to schedule an assessment of your sports injury with a certified physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary greatly in terms of severity, needed treatment and effect on the body and ability to keep active. Our Villa Ridge, MO physical and occupational therapists specialize in treating all types of sports injuries. With decades of experience, extensive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in able hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Villa Ridge, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will guide you in your rehabilitation and make certain that you are able to return to the sports and activities you enjoy in no time.
As skilled sports therapists serving all of Villa Ridge, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every type of sports injury. Below are some of the some of the sports injuries we see the most of.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a muscle or tendon is torn or overstretched, you have a strain, which are sometimes mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can cause swelling and become painful, limiting activity. Long term or chronic inflammation of a tendon can cause degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, leading to tendonitis.
- Swollen joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common consequence of a lot of sports injuries and can lead to pain and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury occurs when a bone is pushed out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a significant but potentially vulnerable joint that can suffer from a lot of different sports injuries bringing about torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and broken bones.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a network of muscles and tendons that disallows your arm from popping out of the shoulder socket while still allowing full range of motion. Impingement and/ or tears are the most common rotator cuff sports injuries.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a significantly strong and flexible tendon connecting your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are typical Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing pain.
Our sports injury treatment team can help you recover from your sports injury. As an expert in motion and movement disorders, your Villa Ridge, MO sports therapist will employ their experience and knowledge toward your recovery. Employing evidence-based practices, we will create a tailored treatment plan that will permit you to safely recuperate from your sports injury and restore your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the sports you love while protecting against future injury.
If you experience a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to restore you to favorable physical health and return you to your peak performance level. Work with a qualified Villa Ridge, MO physical therapist to recover from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anybody can experience a sports injury while being active. That is why it is of utmost importance to protect our bodies both on and off the field and to take the requisite precautions while participating in sports or working out. Warming up is always an important first step, and never overwork your body, especially if you’ve been inactive. And if you do suffer a sports injury, get in touch with the Villa Ridge, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your recovery and return you to the sports you love as soon as possible.
You are at a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Participate after an extended period of inactivity or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with a predictably higher chance of injury
Young children and older adults are also at a higher risk of experiencing a sports injury. As someone who enjoys being active and who has family members that are at a higher risk of sports injury, whether they are just starting out in t-ball or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, consider the basic instructions for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your Villa Ridge, MO family safe from severe sports injuries. If you or someone you love suffers a sports injury while participating in a sport, trust in the talented Villa Ridge, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy now for a complimentary injury screening or analysis of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anyone who engages in physical activity, a sports injury can disrupt your entire schedule and your daily life. Due to physical activity being such a important element of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists espouse the viewpoint that we all are safer with the right sports injury prevention knowledge. Discover more about sports injury prevention by contacting one of our Villa Ridge, MO physical therapists and reduce the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Stiff muscles have a higher risk of tearing, while warm muscles are more flexible. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility allows them to absorb force more effectively and protect themselves better against jarring, sudden movements that can otherwise cause injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries frequently take place when you attempt to do an activity without any experience or training. You need a lot of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the foundations of proper movement technique before participating in a sport or activity. For example, knowing to bend your knees while you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is very important that you use the correct equipment while being active. The equipment should not only be suitable for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. Some examples of equipment are:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety glasses
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is right for the activity
- Play in a safe environment
Other than having the appropriate gear to play the sport, it is crucial that the Villa Ridge, MO location where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can happen when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are conscientious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, hazardous conditions where you play can result in a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking enough water is a basic health practice that everyone should do. When participating in in physical activity, drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workout. It is vital to regularly hydrate during physical activity and afterward to replenish the fluids you have lost through sweat.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also decreases your risk of a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and monitoring your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even when you take all the proper precautions and always exercise good judgment when participating in a sport or physical activity, at times an injury is unavoidable. Many things are outside of our control, and injuries are going to happen. If you suffer a serious sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Villa Ridge, MO sports therapists today. We will perform an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and formulate a custom treatment plan to restore you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As an athlete, we know that living with an injury that prohibits you from physical activity is more than frustrating. In order to be able to get back to the level of performance, mobility and strength you are used to, you must receive the right sports injury care. When you suffer a sports injury, the qualified Villa Ridge, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to create an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Villa Ridge, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Villa Ridge, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your rehabilitation from your sports injury. When managing a sports injury, it is vital to get proper treatment from a experienced professional immediately. When you have been hurt while being active, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Villa Ridge, MO sports therapy team is ready to help return you to full strength and get you back to doing the activities you love. Discover more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Villa Ridge, MO location nearest you.